How to make a Hello Kitty cake

My youngest daughter Darcey was 5 last week and after changing her mind about 100 times she finally decided upon a Hello Kitty cake for her party.  It was a really easy and straight forward cake to decorate. I used a Madeira cake (recipe here) as always and this time made a square cake to cut the shape from.

First I cut out a piece of paper to the same dimmensions as the cake tin and then drew the shape of the head to fit as big as possible. Then I cut out the pattern.

Lay the pattern over the cake and make any necessary adjustments now.

Cut away the cake (this is always a great part as you can test the cake!

I smooth the very edges of the cake so that it has a softer look once iced. I do this very gently with the palm of my hand, but you can use a really sharp knife.

Once shaped cover the cake with a thin layer of buttercream

Roll out a piece of sugar paste that will cover the whole cake and down the sides. Smooth it with your palms and then a smoother tool then position the cake on the cake board or plate with a little royal icing.

Roll out some black sugar paste and cut out two eyes. Use a small amount of icing rolled into a ball for the nose. I used yellow but was reliable informed by Beau (my 7 year old) the next morning that I should have used pink!  I corrected it after these pictures were taken!

The whiskers are black sugar paste that has been rolled out into thin strips and left to dry over night so that they can hold their shape and protrude out over the edge of the cake.

I made the bow with two oval pieces of pink icing. Each piece is folded in half and bunched up in the middle. I then positioned a ball of pink sugar paste on top where the two ‘ovals’ meet, hiding the join. Stick it to the cake with a little royal icing. Roll up some baking paper and slip a piece into each bow to hold it a little open allowing it to dry in that position. You can remove it after a few hours. I leave it over night.

Lastly I added the writing (which I am still perfecting!) and finished off with a little flower as Darcey is a proper girly girl!

Happy Birthday Darcey Doodles! We love you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

29 Comments on How to make a Hello Kitty cake

1. rumourpr
    October 3, 2011 at 11:53 am (3 years ago)

Emma this cake is so lovely! I am v impressed.

• EmmaMT
      October 3, 2011 at 12:04 pm (3 years ago)

Why thank you Ruth. I’ve been baking tons recently. Need to get to the gym if I am going to carry on like this!!

2. Karen Percival
    August 8, 2012 at 10:25 pm (2 years ago)

Hi, I love the look of this cake and would like to make it for my daughters 5th birthday next month. Was just wondering, what size tin did you use for your cake please and how many times the recipe? Many thanks, Karen

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
      August 9, 2012 at 7:55 am (2 years ago)

Hello,

Thanks for your question. I used a 10″ square tin for this Hello Kitty cake. It would need the 1 1/4 x an 8″ recipe. Have a look at my post on measurements so you can see what I’m talking about.

This cake came out quite small. I tend to make deeper cakes now so I would either make it twice (to ensure that the cake was nice and light and fluffy) or I would double the quantity and then cut it in half afterwards.

Good luck with your cake. I’d love to see the end result. Post a pic of it on the CakesBakesAndCookies Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cakes-Bakes-and-Cookies/260731630659816) if you get a second.

EmmaMT

• Karen Percival
        September 18, 2012 at 8:26 pm (2 years ago)

Many thanks for your help Emma. I am making the cake this weekend and just wanted to clarify quantities. You said for a 10″ square cake to use 1 1/4 recipe but looking on table it says 2 times recipe for 10″ – which is best please? How did you get your cake board blue too, it looks really pretty. Many thanks, will post a pic when done! Karen

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
        September 19, 2012 at 5:18 am (2 years ago)

Hello,

I have found that when making a 10″ cake it’s best to use 2 times the recipe. I’ve recently been baking the cake in two goes, as the cake rises to a lighter texture, so bake 1 x the recipe twice. I hope that makes sense?

To make the board blue I roll out some blue sugarpaste till it’s about 5mm thick then I dampen the cake board and cover it with the sugarpaste. Use a pizza wheel to remove the first excess sugarpaste. Smooth the surface with a cake smoother then remove the excess sugarpaste from the edges. Leave to dry (if possibke for a week) that way it is hard when you come to put the cake on top and it wont get finger prints when you handle it.

Hope that helps

EmmaMT

3. Susan
    December 14, 2012 at 5:12 pm (1 year ago)

Hi emma, I would love to make this cake for my little girl’s birthday, can I ask how you make the buttercream?

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
      December 14, 2012 at 6:14 pm (1 year ago)

Hello.
      I make buttercream with 250g unsalted butter (President tastes the best) and 400g of sieved icing sugar. Add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and blend it all together till smooth.
      I usually use that thicker mix between cakes then add a little milk and mix it again to make it lighter and softer buttercream so it’s easier to spread over the cake.

Hope that helps

EmmaMT

• Susan
        December 14, 2012 at 6:28 pm (1 year ago)

Many thanks xx

4. PendleStitches
    January 11, 2013 at 12:04 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Emma. Thanks so much for this. I’m just putting the finishing touches to my version of this for my little Button’s birthday party tomorrow and I’m rather please with the results. It’s the first time I’ve attempted anything like this and thanks to you instructions it’s not looking too bad at all. I think she’ll be pleased.

• Sarah kennett
      February 10, 2013 at 7:48 am (1 year ago)

Hi Emma, I made this for my daughters first birthday yesterday. I cheated a little, and ‘googled’ a picture of hello kitty and printed it out instead of drawing it freehand! Thanks for sharing xx

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
        February 10, 2013 at 11:31 am (1 year ago)

Ooooh nice trick. Well done

5. jennifer
    May 30, 2013 at 2:51 pm (11 months ago)

Thanks emma,u hav been very helpful with your detailed work.I will try the hello kitty now.

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
      May 30, 2013 at 3:10 pm (11 months ago)

Have fun. x

6. lucia no
    June 12, 2013 at 8:42 pm (11 months ago)

Wow your hello kitty cake realy inspires me two make a hello kitty cake for my brothers baby girl tnx and keep up the great work

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
      June 12, 2013 at 9:29 pm (11 months ago)

Do it! It’s a fan cake that always how’s down well. Especially with little girlies.

EmmaMT
      X

7. Emily
    July 20, 2013 at 7:29 pm (9 months ago)

This idea was inspiration for the cake I made for my 2 year old today. Went down a storm. Thank you.

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
      July 22, 2013 at 4:46 am (9 months ago)

You’re more than welcome!

8. Hedgie
    August 14, 2013 at 9:59 am (8 months ago)

Do you perhaps have the picture that I can cutout the shape of the cake from.

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
      August 14, 2013 at 9:51 pm (8 months ago)

Sorry, I don’t but why don’t you give it a go making your own template. This is a really simple shape to try out.

EmmaMT

9. Debbie
    January 4, 2014 at 6:36 am (4 months ago)

Hi Emma my daughter would like a Hello Kitty cake but a chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream. Have you covered said cake in white fondant before and is it ok? Would the darker colour show through do you think? Thanks Debbie

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
      January 4, 2014 at 10:39 am (4 months ago)

Hi Debbie,
      I don’t think chocolate buttercream would show through as long as you keep the sugarpaste thick enough. It’s at the corners where the sugarpaste stretches that it gets thinner so roll it out so it is at least 5-10 mm thick to make sure you’re okay.

Hope that helps

EmmaMT

• Debbie
        January 21, 2014 at 7:55 pm (3 months ago)

Hi Emma

I just wanted to let you know that my Hello Kitty cake was a success! I used your chocolate madeira recipe and used chocolate buttercream. Nothing showed through the white icing. The cake tasted lovely. My daughter was thrilled with her Hello Kitty cake so I was delighted. Thanks for all your help.

Debbie

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
        January 23, 2014 at 9:37 am (3 months ago)

Oh I’m so pleased. I’m hungry now reading your comment!

EmmaMT

10. Jo
    February 16, 2014 at 8:50 am (2 months ago)

Hi Emma,

I love your Hello Kitty cake and I’m going to make one for my niece’s 2nd birthday. Could you tell me what cutter you used for the eyes?

Jo

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
      February 17, 2014 at 9:47 pm (2 months ago)

Hello,

Thanks for your question. I bought this Mini Shapes Cutters, Set of 24, the 8 most popular mini cutter shapes in 3 sizes each for Cookies, Icing, Sugarcraft & Cake Decoration” target=”_blank”>set

a few years ago and have used it tons and tons. It has three sizes of square, round and oval cutter as as well as rectangles, hearts, stars and flowers. It’s been so useful.

I used the middle size oval from this set for the Hello Kitty eyes.

I hope that helps

EmmaMT

• Jo
        March 2, 2014 at 8:05 pm (2 months ago)

Just to let you know my Hello Kitty cake was a success! Thank you so much for letting me know about the cutters they are brilliant.

11. Bev
    March 6, 2014 at 9:59 am (2 months ago)

Hi Emma. Finished this cake for my little girl’s 3rd birthday. Had a few nightmares as I used a new marshmallow flavoured fondant and it kept cracking which I hadn’t found before and I had runs with the whiskers. It’s surprising as I found this cake harder as because there is not much on it you can’t hide all the faults! Anyway from a novice follower here is a picture which I hope works. Thanks again for your posts. X

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
      March 6, 2014 at 12:54 pm (2 months ago)

Love it! Well done it looks fantastic. Not a novice in sight!

EmmaMT
      x

I love to hear your comments.....