How to make a football shirt cake template

My easy templates for a football shirt cake

Click on the image to see how to make this cake.

I have been asked quite a few times recently how and where I get my templates from for Football shirt cakes like the one above, so I thought I would share with you the way I draw them. It’s pretty easy to do yourself (even if you’re no dab hand with a pen or pencil) but I’ve also included  free templates in case it comes in handy at the end of this post.

Rectanglular or square tins

I usually use a rectangular baking tin for this cake which is 8 x 10 inch (20 x 26cm) but I know that’s not an every day size so I am also going to show you how to use a square tin to get the same template. My square tin here is 9 x 9 inch  (23 x 23cm)

Make a template from paper

First swipe some paper from your daughters stash! This pad has come in very handy as it’s A3 in size. I’ve used a big black marker just so you can see the lines clearly.

For a rectangular cake tin

Draw around your tin

Draw around the base of your baking tin so you have the overall size of your baked cake.

Cut out the paper

Cut it out.

Fold the paper in half

Fold it in half lengthways. I do this so that the template is even on both sides.

Draw the shirt outline

I then draw half of the shirt. Make sure that the neckline is wider than you think it should be. The shoulders only need a slight slope downwards. The sleeve should always be attached to the body of the shirt otherwise you end up with a really difficult nook to ice. I tilt the sleeve so I get as much cake (and as little wasted cake) as possible)

Cut off the excess

Cut away the excess areas.

Open up the template

Open up the template and your ready to place it on your cake and cut it to size for decorating.

For a square tin

Square cake full template

Draw around your cake tin (or the removable base if possible) and cut out the square. I have worked out the best ratio for cutting a square cake into a Football shirt shape.

Square cake template pieces

The long thin rectangle fits at the bottom to give you a longer shirt and the smaller one is divided diagonally to give you triangles that become the sleeves.

Piece together

I mark the curved armhole of the sleeves on the body of the shirt as it makes the arms look bigger. There’s very little wastage with this cake.

So there you have it. If you want to see how I decorate a football shirt cake then see here. Feel free to click on the templates below to download the printable  PDF’s to use.

Good luck and enjoy!

Football shirt cake template
Template for a rectangle Football shirt cake
Template for a rectangle Football shirt cake
Template for a rectangle Football shirt cake
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

26 Comments on How to make a football shirt cake template

1. igetakickoutofyou
    February 1, 2012 at 9:37 am (3 years ago)

I’m not going to show this to George – coz whether its his birthday or not he is going to want me to do a chelsea shirt and then there will be all sorts of trouble with his daddy!

2. fiona
    March 16, 2012 at 5:44 pm (3 years ago)

Genious…gonna try this tomorrow!

3. Leanne
    March 27, 2012 at 2:00 pm (3 years ago)

Brilliant thanks i’m gonna make my son an Arsenal one for his birthday in a few weeks time, can you recommend a red colouring to use as the one i have isnt brilliant? Leanne x

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
      March 28, 2012 at 9:23 pm (3 years ago)

Hello,

Thanks for your comment. When it comes to red icing I use Regalice which is a really good quality rollable fondant icing. It comes in packs of 250g blocks and is available from cake decorating shops and on line.

If you want to use colouring, use a professional paste rather than the bottles of food colour that you get in the supermarkets. The pastes have really good colours and you can use just a little to have a pale colour or a lot for a deeper tone. Also they aren’t as wet and don’t make the regalice sticky.

I have added both the blocks of regalice and the food colour to my Amazon shop (on the right hand side of the blog) so you can see what the products look like. I hope that helps.

Personally I would always buy the ready coloured icing as it is quicker, easier and if you need more you know you can pop to the shop and get exactly the same colour.

Good luck with your cake. I bet it will look brilliant!

EmmaMT

• Leanne
        March 31, 2012 at 11:34 am (3 years ago)

Thanks Emma :)

4. Julie Rose-Rakes
    December 29, 2012 at 2:08 am (2 years ago)

Thank you so much for this! Awesome!

5. Gwen
    December 29, 2012 at 11:09 am (2 years ago)

HI there,
    Can you recommend a regalice colour to use for a Man City (blue) cake?
    KInd Regards,
    Gwen

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
      December 29, 2012 at 11:27 am (2 years ago)

Hello,

I would either start with an Atlantic blue sugarpaste and add white sugarpaste till it’s the perfect colour or start with white sugarpaste and add a tiny bit of food colour paste in baby blue (a tiny bit at a time- use a toothpick) If you are colouring white sugarpaste try and do it the day before so it has time to take and sink in properly. That way it doesn’t end up dying your hands!

I hope that helps

EmmaMT

6. lois gavin
    January 20, 2013 at 3:42 pm (2 years ago)

Hi to do a red and white striped red footie shirt, would you cover with white regalice first then lay the red stripes over and just wondering as this will leave a slight groove with the stripes being laid on top

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
      January 20, 2013 at 11:14 pm (2 years ago)

Why do they have to make football shirts so complicated!!

I would probably cover the cake in white sugarpaste (regalice) first. Then lay the red stripes over the top. If you keep each stripe rolled out quite thinly (1-2mm) you can gently smooth the edges (along the length of the stripe) with your fingers so that they aren’t obviously layered. Be really careful as you do this as it will distort the straight line if you press too hard.

I don’t think it matters too much if there is a slight bump between the red and white of the shirt. If the shirt is the right colour/design and has the logo/badge the footie fan will love it. They ALWAYS do!

It’s also worth mentioning that the red sugarpaste can mark the white. If this happens use a paintbrush dipped in alcohol to remove it. Alcohol doesn’t make the sugarpaste look shiny as it evaporates.

Hope this helps and good luck.

EmmaMT

p.s. You can always add a scarf over any areas that aren’t neat enough for your liking. No-one would ever know. They’d just think you’ve gone the extra mile.

7. Hayley Gammond
    March 5, 2013 at 7:13 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you so much for this template im just a hobbie baker, and the cake came out very good Thank you so much Hayley x

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
      March 6, 2013 at 11:58 pm (2 years ago)

So glad I could help Hayley.

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
      April 24, 2013 at 4:28 am (2 years ago)

Hello,

Thanks for your comment. I bet your cake will look great.

Good luck

EmmaMT

8. Michelle Casey
    October 1, 2013 at 8:55 am (1 year ago)

I am making a football Jersey cake this weekend. How high roughly should the cake be before i fondant it? You’ve done such a fab job on yours.

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
      October 1, 2013 at 12:45 pm (1 year ago)

Hello,

I think cakes look best when they are deep. I used to make them 2″ deep which is good but I now go for 3″ deep as that looks better and let’s face it – another inch of cake is always going to be a winner!

Hope that helps

EmmaMT

9. sharon turner
    December 4, 2013 at 8:52 am (11 months ago)

Hi emma, this is such a great help…thank you :) Are you able to tell me how you make the scarves please. Thanks

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
      December 6, 2013 at 11:05 pm (11 months ago)

Hello,

To make the scarf I start by cutting out a long strip of white sugarpaste. I then cut another piece the same width in black (or whatever colour) and cut the stripes out. I lay the stripes on top and gently smooth them with the palm of my hand being careful not to squidge the edges so that they don’t go all wonky. If the length is moved and no longer straight I trim a mm or two off using a pizza slice. (Pizza slices are essential sugarpaste cutters in my opinion!)

I then position the scarf over the cake using a little royal icing to hold it in place. This is a great way to hide any imperfections but don’t tell anyone I told you so! To make the fringe I cut a square piece of sugarpaste out and use a sharp knife to cut the tassles. As I cut I lift the knife away in an upwards motion so that the strands sit tossled and look more natural. I then secure them in place. Finally I add the football team embelem.

Hey presto a football shirt with a difference!

Hope that helps

EmmaMT
      x

10. Lesley Evans
    January 23, 2014 at 10:40 am (9 months ago)

This is a new venture for me, am quite nervous about it. How do I go about making a striped shirt?

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
      January 24, 2014 at 10:13 am (9 months ago)

Ooooh that sounds like fun! I have tried to make striped shirts before by rolling two strips of sugarpaste together but the lines always go wonky. So I would actually cover the whole cake in one colour then cut strips in the other colour to add to the shirt afterwards. You can always carefully smooth the stripes but the more you touch them the more chance there is that they will move and not look straight.

I hope that helps

EmmaMT

11. CAKE DAME
    March 27, 2014 at 10:24 am (7 months ago)

Hi Emma! Thanks for all your help. I am a football jersey cake and it needs to feed 35 slices. I have gotten the Wilton shirt cake pan to bake it in. Having measured the pan size; it is roughly about;

13″ Long (collar to hem measurement) by

11.5″ Wide at the widest point (one arm to the other arm measurement).

Then the measurement of the narrower width side is 9″

Given these measurements; please if I did 3 layers of my cake recipe (each layer bakes to about 1.25″) and sandwiched them all together with buttercream; do you think it would be enough to get around 35 slices from?

I am including a couple of links to a picture of the Wilton shirt pan below;

I look forward to your reply and thanks a lot once more for your time and patience.

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
      March 29, 2014 at 8:02 am (7 months ago)

Hello,

Oh your comment did make me laugh! I’m always pressing send before I’ve checked for typos!

I think ordinarily a cake this size would serve around 25 people but if you are going to bake three cakes the overall depth will be over 4″ deep so you could cut smaller more square slices and eek out 35 slices.

I’ve looked all over google to try and find out how many slices Wilton say the cake tin should serve and I can’t find it anywhere!

I hope that helps

EmmaMT

12. CAKE DAME
    March 27, 2014 at 10:26 am (7 months ago)

Dear God; I sure am not a “football jersey cake” as I wrote above :) I meant to write I am “making a football jersey cake”. Sorry for the typo .

13. Anthea
    September 20, 2014 at 10:52 am (1 month ago)

I made this for a boys 6th birthday today. Thank you for your guidance and pictures. I was very happy with the result and it looked really good.

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
      September 20, 2014 at 3:43 pm (1 month ago)

Thanks. That’s great to know. so glad it was a success.

EmmaMT

I love to hear your comments.....

%d bloggers like this: