How to make a Minecraft birthday cake

Minecraft Birthday cake

Have you heard of Minecraft? I hadn’t until recently. It’s a computer game that the boys in Beau’s class are really into. I went from being completely clueless to having two Minecraft cakes to make in as many weeks! I really didn’t know where to start with this cake. It needed to have loads of slices. When I make cakes for friends (especially Beau’s little friends) I like to create enough cake for the party guests AND  for the family to have some at home. Tim had the great idea of creating layers after I showed him screen grabs of  what the game looked like. Genius I thought.

How to make a Minecraft Birthday cake

Minecraft cake

I started off by baking two Chocolate Madeira cakes (the large one was an 8″ and the small one was a 6″- I made double the recipe here and split it between the two tins)

Minecraft Birthday cake

The smaller cake was cut up so that I had two ‘L’ shaped cakes to create the steps. I think it’s probably a bit obvious where the two left over cake pieces went – yep straight onto my hips!

Minecraft Birthday cake

Check that the cakes sit nicely on top of each other. Too small and it will be hard to cover them, too big and the cake won’t be stepped enough.

Minecraft Birthday cake

Hopefully you will have covered your cake board with sugarpaste a week (or at least a few days) in advance.

Minecraft Birthday cake

Slice the large cake in two and fill with chocolate buttercream (the recipe for which is on this post). Cover the whole cake with a thin layer of buttercream then position the green rolled out sugarpaste over the cake. Smooth until as flat as is possible. Remove the excess sugarpaste and secure the cake on the cake board with a little royal icing.

Minecraft Birthday cake

Cover both the ‘L’ shaped pieces of cake by coating first in buttercream then sugarpaste. Don’t try and slice it in half to put buttercream in the centre. It’s very fiddly and messy and doesn’t work on such a small piece. The buttercream used to coat the cake and make the sugarpaste stick will moisten the cake enough.

Minecraft Birthday cake

Smooth the sugarpaste with a cake smoother and use a spoon to get into those awkward internal corners.

Minecraft Birthday cake

Position the larger of the ‘L’s onto the cake with Royal icing. Then repeat with the second ‘L’ shape.

Minecraft Birthday cake

To make the individual pixels squares – roll out the three shades of sugarpaste. If you do all three at the same time they will be relatively the same thickness.

Minecraft Birthday cake

Use a square cutter to press out lots and lots of squares all the same size. These are going to be the floor.

Minecraft Birthday cake

Secure each square pixel to the floor by dampening it with a paintbrush. Don’t use too much water as it will stain the cake. Dry off the excess water from the brush on the side of the pot first.

Minecraft Birthday cake

Add pixels on each level where there is a floor till you have done all three.

Minecraft Birthday cake

I tried to make the model of Mini Josh for the cake look like him and also look pixelated at the same time. I cut out cubes and rectangles in sugarpaste with the relevant cutters and used tooth picks in his legs and into his body to hold him secure. This also meant that once he had been made I could stand him up and push the tooth picks into a polystyrene fake cake and left him there leaning against box to dry for a while. (A couple of days- it’s a good idea to make the model when you cover the cake board) Minecraft Birthday cake

Use a little royal icing to secure the model to the cake. The toothpicks can only do so much.

Minecraft Birthday cake

Finally add your wording .

Minecraft Birthday cakeHey, Presto! One Minecraft cake!

enjoy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

19 Comments on How to make a Minecraft birthday cake

1. rowena
    March 7, 2013 at 9:21 am (1 year ago)

Hi Emma the cake looks really great

2. bakearama
    March 7, 2013 at 9:58 am (1 year ago)

Amazing! Great job!

3. glamorous glutton
    March 8, 2013 at 5:32 pm (1 year ago)

Really great looking cake. I admire your patience with all the squares! Good idea to use layers to make it go further. GG

4. claire
    March 18, 2013 at 7:48 pm (1 year ago)

Brilliant! Many thanks XX

5. Cara
    May 20, 2013 at 5:30 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Emma, I was hoping to have a go at making this for my son’s birthday! Can you tell me where I can buy the 3 shades of icing from and the cutter for the squares please?
    Thanks, Cara

6. Ellen
    August 17, 2013 at 11:43 am (1 year ago)

Brilliant!! I need to make a Minecraft themed cake for my son next week! Have been wondering how the heck I was going to pull it off, thank you x

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
      August 17, 2013 at 12:19 pm (1 year ago)

So glad I could help. Let me know how you get on.

EmmaMT

7. Evy
    August 22, 2013 at 8:19 pm (1 year ago)

It was a very good cake a I added some stuff but it was good thanks for the idea

8. Barbara
    November 16, 2013 at 4:36 pm (10 months ago)

What size cake board do I need. Going to attempt it for my grandsons 10th Birthday.

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
      November 16, 2013 at 11:18 pm (10 months ago)

I always aim to have 1-2″ of board wider than my cakes. So an 8″ cake sits on a 10-12″ board. The more board the more space for extra wording.

EmmaMT

9. Elaine
    January 21, 2014 at 2:47 pm (7 months ago)

Hi – I am planning to attempt this cake for my son’s 10th birthday. I am quite good at individual cupcakes but thought I would try a ‘proper’ cake. I was wondering approximately how much of the green sugarpaste you need for the whole cake approximately? I see you used one block for the squares, but obviously the whole cake needs to be covered too. I have no idea of quantities as I am only used to making individual cakes! Thanks.

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
      January 23, 2014 at 9:42 am (7 months ago)

Hello,

I used 800g to cover the 8″ cake and 400g to cover the 6″ (which was cut into the steps). I then used what was left over to make the individual squares. Some was mixed with white and some squares were white. I bought just one 200g white sugarpaste.

I hope that helps

Have fun

EmmaMT

10. Ruth Harvey
    January 29, 2014 at 10:03 pm (7 months ago)

What size of square plunger cutter did you use on the Minecraft birthday cake? It looks exactly what I was looking for.

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
      January 29, 2014 at 10:44 pm (7 months ago)

Hello,

I used the middle size from Cutters” target=”_blank”>this set I bought about 4-5 years ago. It’s been one of my most used cutter sets. It’s really versatile. It measures around 2cm square

I hope that helps

EmmaMT

• Ruth Harvey
        January 30, 2014 at 7:56 pm (7 months ago)

Hi there,

Thanks for your prompt reply, it was really useful info about cutters. It would have been even better if the link had worked.

Ruth

• EmmaMT from CakesBakesAndCookies.com
        January 30, 2014 at 9:32 pm (7 months ago)

Hi Ruth. click on the word “cutters” and it will take you straight through to Amazon.

EmmaMT

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on How to make a Minecraft birthday cake

1. [...] we’ll decorate them all Star Warsy, roughly following these guidelines. But with more light [...]

I love to hear your comments.....

%d bloggers like this: