I don’t know about you guys but we try not to have too many treats in the house over the Christmas break. We’re all at home, chilling and watching TV (or playing Minecraft if you’re my girls) and the temptation to pick and graze is a bit too much. But, by 28th December I was dreaming about biscuits and after making so many for other people for gifts I thought it was time to bake some just for us.
Want a vegan version of these Lemon Butter Biscuits? Find them here
Lemon butter biscuits
These Lemon butter biscuits are really light and melt in the mouth. I had come up with the recipe (adapting it from an old favourite), made the mix and had them in the oven by 7.25am. Not bad when you’re on holiday from work. The first dozen I baked were really brown underneath so I baked the next lot for a shorter time. The corners were only just a little more than golden when I took them out of the oven and the tops looked a touch anaemic but it definitely improved the texture. They don’t look baked but trust me they are. They continue to cook for a few minutes while they sit on the baking tray cooling which makes them just perfect when they’re completely cooled.
Another thing I should mention is that I froze a small batch of these (or we probably would have eaten the lot – I made 35 from this recipe) so I can pop them in the oven if we have friends pop round unexpectedly. I love doing that.
Lemon butter biscuits recipe
(makes around 30-35)
- 200g butter at room temperature
- 200g caster sugar – sieved
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 rind and juice of a lemon
- 370g plain flour- sieved
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Extra golden caster sugar for rolling the biscuits in.
- Line a baking tray with silicon paper and pre-heat your oven to 170ºC (Fan oven150ºC)
- Place all the ingredients into the bowl and mix. You can mix by hand or with a stand mixer but however you do it be careful not to over mix or the biscuits will become tough and will lose their lightness.
- Place the golden caster sugar into a bowl. Roll a spoonful of biscuit dough into a ball so it’s around the size of a large walnut then roll it around in the caster sugar till it’s completely coated.
- Place on the baking tray and use a fork to press the ball down a little. These biscuits only spread a little bit.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are turning a deep golden brown colour – not brown-brown. Remove and leave to cool on the baking tray for ten minutes before transferring onto a rack to go complete cold.