These vegan lemon biscuits are quick, easy and seriously tasty
This reciepe for Vegan zesty Lemon biscuits turned out even better than I hoped. They’re based on my melt in the mouth lemon butter biscuits so I had to swap out a few ingredients- namely butter, obvs and eggs. See how I did that below.
Vegan butter alternative
Usually, I swap out butter for a vegetable margarine, but recently I’ve been using Tomar. Tomar is also vegetable oil-based and is a Kosher block which my mum has used forever. She buys it in bulk from kosher supermarkets and freezes it – so, of course, I do the same. I get mine from Sainsbury’s or Waitrose and Ocado also stock it so it’s easy to find.
The flavour of Tomar block is better than the margarine version and it’s also more solid so acts similarly to butter. You don’t want sloppy biscuits. In cakes it may be okay but never in biscuits
Vegan Egg Alternative
I’ve recently been successfully using the water from tinned chickpeas as an egg substitute in Madiera cake. That recipe is still in the trial phase as I’m not totally happy with it – even if vegan Daughterling, Beau loved the second try so much she took the whole thing back with her to Uni.
The non-vegan version of these lemon biscuits require two egg yolks so I thought I’d just make up a sticky, messy batch of chia seeds in water, but I didn’t have any. What I did have was a very ripe banana. As the yolk alternative was intended to bind the ingredients I knew banana would work. I didn’t want the flavour to over power the zestiness so used just 60g – half a banana. It was perfect.
These Lemon biscuits are great to freeze head. Simply pop the raw, rolled biscuits on a tray to freeze. Once frozen you can place them in another container. When you want to bake them you can do so from frozen. They only take 20 minutes and make your house smell gorgeous and have a tasty treat when friends pop by unexpectedly.
Vegan Zesty Lemon Biscuits
- - 200g block vegetable margarine at room temperature
- - 200g caster sugar - sieved
- - ½ banana (60g) mashed
- - 1 rind and juice of a lemon
- - 370g plain flour- sieved
- - 1 tsp baking powder
- - Extra golden caster sugar for rolling the biscuits in.
- Line a baking tray with silicon paper and pre-heat your oven to 170ºC (Fan oven150ºC)
- Place all the ingredients into the bowl and mix. Avoid over mixing or the biscuits will become tough
- Place the golden caster sugar into a bowl. Roll a spoonful of biscuit dough into a ball so it's around the size of a large walnut then roll it around in the caster sugar till it's completely coated.
- Place on the baking tray and use a fork to press the ball down a little. These biscuits only spread a little bit.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are turning a deep golden brown colour - not brown-brown.
- Remove and leave to cool on the baking tray for ten minutes before transferring onto a rack to go completely cold.
It’s a good job I love these as much as I do. I baked them on a Saturday Morning and when Darcey came downstairs bleary eyed she told me she doesn’t like lemon flavoured things and Beau is at Uni so looks like Tim and are are in for a zesty week. Bet you wished you lived around the corner now right?